Full-Time ADDICTIONS PROGRAM CULTURAL ADVISOR & COUNSELLOR
Pulaarvik Kablu Friendship Centre
ADDICTIONS PROGRAM CULTURAL ADVISOR & COUNSELLOR
Closing Date: 5:00 pm, Friday, June 19, 2020
We are growing! It is an exciting time to join the team at Pulaarvik Kablu Friendship Centre (PKFC)!
In 1979, PKFC was created by Inuit, for Inuit, in Rankin Inlet. Today, it is becoming a vibrant regional organization providing needed wellness programs and services across the Kivalliq Region. Our goal is to deliver Inuit-designed, Inuit-led programs and services that are closely aligned with Kivalliq Inuit Societal Values and Culture, while also being evidence-based, and informed by best practices. We strive to work in partnership with municipalities’ wellness programs and in partnership with clinical health and social services available in all Nunavut communities through the Government of Nunavut’s Department of Health.
In 2020-21, PKFC will become the Kivalliq Region’s host organization for a 28-Day On-the-Land Addictions Treatment Program which will be offered three times annually and will offer after-care to clients when they return to their homes / communities.
This is an exciting NEW position for a motivated individual who will assist us in planning the cabins and equipment that are needed for this land-based program, making sure our cabins and equipment are stored an maintained well year-round, and will also plan and coordinate the cultural elements of our land-based addictions treatment program when it is running 3 months of the year (fishing, hunting and other land-
based activities). In addition, this person will be a members of the counselling / support team for the program. Training in counselling will be made available to the right Cultural Advisor, if they do not have that training but wish to make a difference in Nunavut in this way.
Reporting to the Director, Mental Health and Addictions (also a new position), the Addictions Program Coordinator & Counsellor will oversee all aspects of the delivery of the Addictions Program and when the program development phase is completed, will also provide client counselling during the program delivery.
Key responsibilities include:
- Participation as an Addictions Program Team Member
- Cultural Programming – Advice and Coordination
- Physical Facilities and Equipment: Storage and Maintenance
- Administrative tasks including: seeking quotations for needed equipment, needed supplies, and hiring of land-based activity guides and facilitators; completing needed reports about program activities
- Counselling (once training is completed, if the incumbent does not have counselling training)
Compensation & benefits:
In order to attract and retain highly qualified and motivated staff and management, PKFC has recently reviewed all of its salaries to ensure that we are a competitive employer. For this position, we offer:
- $41.03 per hour plus $9.23/hour in Northern Allowance
- Annual rate of pay inclusive of Northern Allowance: $97,504
- Extended health benefits and a pension plan
- 3 weeks of annual leave, plus monthly self-care days & lieu time accrual
- Staff housing is not available for this position
PKFC is committed to providing training in counselling / addictions counselling to a motivated individual with a strong track record being a strong team player, and who has experience in leading land-based activities.
To effectively work in this role, the following qualifications and qualities are required:
- Preference will be given to Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiaries
- Fluency in Inuktitut and English is a strong asset
- Must be experienced in land-based cultural activities
- Must have proven experience in coordinating community activities
- Must have taken or be willing to take counselling training (Our Life’s Journey or other similar program)
- Must be a strong team player, accountable for how they spend their time, their whereabouts, and an ability to collaborate to create plans, develop written plans
- Must have basic computer skills (word processing, email)
How to Apply
How to Apply: A detailed job description is available. Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com. Qualified applicants should forward their resumé and a cover letter in strictest confidence, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5:00pm (CST) Friday, June 19, 2020.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews are expected to take place the week of June 22, 2020.
592 total views, 2 today