Full-Time COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKER (CSW) – Arviat
Pulaarvik Kablu Friendship Centre
COMMUNITY SUPPORT WORKER (CSW) – Arviat
Closing Date: 5:00 pm, Friday, June 19, 2020
We are growing! It is an exciting time to join the team at Pulaarvik Kablu Friendship Centre (PKFC)!
In 1979, PKFC was created by Inuit, for Inuit, in Rankin Inlet. Today, it is becoming a vibrant regional organization providing needed wellness programs and services across the Kivalliq Region. Our goal is to deliver Inuit-designed, Inuit-led programs and services that are closely aligned with Kivalliq Inuit Societal Values and Culture, while also being evidence-based, and informed by best practices. We strive to work in partnership with municipalities’ wellness programs and in partnership with clinical health and social services available in all Nunavut communities through the Government of Nunavut’s Department of Health.
In 2020-21, PKFC will become the Kivalliq Region’s host organization for a 28-Day On-the-Land Addictions Treatment Program which will be offered three times annually and will offer after-care to clients when they return to their homes / communities.
Community Support Workers are an important part of the Mental Health and Addictions Team at PKFC. The Arviat CSW will be part of a supportive team of nine similar positions located in Kivalliq communities. Tey offer cultural programming in their communities (land-based or traditional skills workshops, elders’ drop-in events, and where they work, they create a safe, comfortable plac for people to go when they need emotional support of counselling. CSWs also are part of PKFC’s crisis response teams: when critical events happen in the Kivalliq, our workers travel in pairs to offer emotional and other support to affected families.
Training in counselling will be made available to the right CSW, if they do not have that training but wish to make a difference in Nunavut in this way. For the right individual, the counselling role of this position can be phased in as the program develops and as they receive training.
Key responsibilities include:
- Participating as a member of the Mental Health and Addictions Team
- Planning local community activities and programs
- Offering counselling (once training has been provided)
- Travelling to communities as part of a crisis response team
- Some administrative tasks must be completed (reports about community activities and number of clients seen)
Compensation & benefits:
In order to attract and retain highly qualified and motivated staff and management, PKFC has recently reviewed all of its salaries to ensure that we are a competitive employer. For this position, we offer:
- Annual salary of $35.90/hour plus $9.23/hour in Northern allowance
- Annual compensation including Northern Allowance $87,553
- Extended health benefits and a pension plan
- 3 weeks of annual leave, plus monthly self-care days & lieu time accrual
- Housing is not available for this position
PKFC is committed to providing training in counselling / addictions counselling to a motivated individual with strong references, with a an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
To effectively work in this role, the following qualifications and qualities are required.
- Preference will be given to Nunavut Land Claims Beneficiaries
- Must be experienced in land-based cultural activities
- Must have proven experience in coordinating community activities
- Must have taken or be willing to take counselling training (Our Life’s Journey or other similar program)
- Must be a strong team player, accountable for how they spend their time, their whereabouts, and an ability to collaborate to create plans, develop written plans.
- Must have basic computer skills (word processing, email)
- Training and experience in counselling would be an asset
- Fluency in Inuktitut and English is a strong asset
How to Apply
How to Apply: A detailed job description is available. Inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified applicants should forward their resume and a cover letter in strictest confidence, by e-mail to email@example.com no later than 5:00pm (CST) Friday, June 19, 2020.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacte. Interviews are expected to take place the week of June 22, 2020.
2763 total views, 2 today